Why Cleanse the Kidneys?
I started a kidney cleanse yesterday, as it is recommended to do so after every three to four liver and gallbladder cleanses. The kidneys are important in relation to healing endometriosis because they are responsible for clearing out waste and toxins from the body.
The kidneys also release three important hormones:
- Erythropoietin – essential for red blood cell production – red blood cells deliver oxygen to the body
- Renin – regulates blood pressure
- Calcitriol – a form of vitamin D that promotes the absorption of dietary calcium from the intestines
The absorption of calcium is important for endo gals as calcium helps strengthen the immune system and regulates cell growth. Calcium deficiency causes hyperactive muscles (including those in the uterus) and heavy bleeding.
A kidney cleanse helps to release toxins and “sand” that could eventually form into kidney stones. Removing these obstacles helps the kidneys perform better – thus allowing for the exit of more toxins that are no good for endometriosis.
The kidney cleanse that I am doing is for twenty days. To assist in the cleansing process during this time it is recommended to avoid animal products, dairy foods, tea, coffee, alcohol, carbonated beverages, chocolate sweeteners, coloring agents…etc.
So far I’ve done well on all but the animal products and have come close to cheating on the chocolate part 🙂
During the day I “sip” on a tea made from an array of different herbs six to eight times throughout the day, waiting at least an hour after eating to take another sip.
The tea does not have to be hot, but should not be refrigerated. I’ve kept the tea in a heat insulated stainless steel cup to keep it as warm as possible, but by the end of the day I’ve been drinking it cold.
To assist the kidneys during the cleanse, it’s important to drink lots of water – at least six to eight glasses a day – more if the urine is really yellow.
Kidney Cleansing Herbs
I ordered the herbal tea with the herbs already measured out from Present Moment Herbs. The herbal concoction includes:
- Marjoram – improves digestion and is an antiseptic, antibacterial, antifunal and antiviral herb
- Cat’s Claw – stimulates the immune system and rids the body of free radicals
- Comfrey Root – encourages re-growth of damaged tissues and aids in digestion/stomach problems
- Chicory Root – increases urination and aids in stomach disturbances
- Fennel Seed – improves digestion and increases the flow of urine
- Goldenrod – treats urinary problems, bladder inflammation, kidney stones
- Gravel Root – treats urinary infections, kidney stones
- Hydrangea Root – relieves bladder inflammation, kidney stones and strengthens the urinary track
- Marshmellow Root – treats digestive disorders, anti-inflammatory
- Uva Ursi – treats urinary track infections, soothes and strengthens irritated and inflamed tissues
The only herb that could cause issues with endometriosis is fennel seed which is high in phytoestrogens, but only a small amount of fennel is consumed. After taking the tea for two days I’ve experienced no negative effects from it.
On The Positive Side?
After reviewing the benefits of the herbs involved in the cleanse I noticed that most of them aid in digestive improvement – a benefit for me after coming off the liver cleanse.
The herbs also help the urinary track – an area that I’ve had issues with for years. I suffered with what I thought was Interstitial Cystitis coupled with a long line of bladder infections in the past. I wish that I’d found this cleanse sooner 🙂
The cleanse is pretty easy outside of the dietary restrictions (chocolate…). The tea doesn’t taste great, but it’s not the worst. I can stomach it pretty easy and like the fact that I only have to take sips of it at a time. (I do not recommend soaking the herbs any longer than overnight, as too strong a tea is not good at all, lol).
My urine has come out quite yellow at times during the cleanse indicating the removal of toxins. The removal of toxins is key, in my opinion, to healing endometriosis.
You don’t have to do liver cleanses to do the kidney cleanse and you can do it at anytime. Why not give it a shot?
Have you had experience doing a kidney cleanse? Any other advice to help detox the kidneys? I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below 🙂
Hi, please send me the link where I can buy this tea.
Hi Jessie. You can order the tea here: https://www.presentmoment.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4941
I updated the link in the post. Thanks for pointing out that it was no longer working!